Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Culture, Attack!

Our culture is constantly feeding the young adults of our world lies and "desensitizing" them to things that they know are wrong. Music, books, TV, and video games of the secular culture that we live in are always trying to show us that little things like lying are okay.
I've found that in my own life, the music that I listen to doesn't have much of a filter.  I find myself singing songs that have horrible content because they came on the radio and they're "catchy".  Do I always skip the songs I need to skip?  Nope.  For instance, the song Uptown Funk is pretty popular right now.  So because everyone is listening to it, it must be ok, right?  Wrong!  My dad found my little brother singing it.  You know, lyrics can sound okay until a little kid sings them.  All of the sudden, you hear the song for what it is.  Ever since then I've been trying to filter the music that I listen to not just for myself, but for my younger siblings and their friends as well.  I don't want them to be corrupted or pulled into the things of the world like some of us are so easily.
Yesterday I got a book from the library that I've been waiting for for so long!  I was so excited and as I started reading, I realized some of the things that the characters were doing was considered appropriate in their culture, but to a Christian, they were very wrong.  I stayed up until 1:30 A.M to finish this book.  It was interesting in that the world they lived in was very different, but the way that their culture had no morals whatsoever disturbed me.  As I was talking to my mom about it this morning in the kitchen, we came to the conclusion that musicians, authors, and the internet are attacking children and young adults while they are young.  Because when people aren't solid in their faith, they can be easily swayed by things that seem enticing.
"There was just one swear word in that song, it isn't that bad." 
"I just told a little lie."
"It's okay that I stole.  They'll never miss it anyway."
The bible says:


"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect"
Romans 12:2

Our culture's worldliness is so enticing, so "fun" that young Christians (and sometimes even older ones) are drawn into their sin.  I never understood when I was younger why my parents wouldn't let me watch certain movies or TV shows.  Sometimes still today I get a uptight about some of the rules that they give me, even though I know they are to protect me.  Mom likes to look at reviews on books before she lets me read them, movies before we watch them, and read lyrics to songs before I buy them.  Sometimes I'm none to pleased with her decision to not let me read certain books, watch certain movies, or buy certain songs.  Some of the things I want to read, watch, or listen too "look good" on the outside.  But just like sin, underneath the beautiful book cover are harmful things to my mind, soul, and heart.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things"
Philippians 4:8

Filtering our media intake is important.  What we focus our thoughts on matters.
That one swear word can turn into using them yourself.
The little lie can tempt you to tell more.
The little thing you stole can make you steal again because it was "okay" the first time.

"Be sober- minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour"
1 Peter 5:8

When Jesus died on the cross, he defeated sin and death so that we could once again be with God.  Sin no longer has a hold on us if we believe in Christ Jesus.  Culture cannot manipulate and twist us if we have Jesus.  Because in the end, Jesus always wins.

1 comment:

  1. Some great thoughts. For the longest time I was struggling with songs like Uptown Funk. Was it that bad? Where should I draw the line? Our school did a unity video, and I struggled with whether or not I should have The Jesus Club (our school's weekly Bible Study/Fellowship Group) participate. The songs were ify. Me and my fellow co president ended up having the club participate, but whether it was the best or not, I still don't know. We got to hold up signs that said "Jesus Loves You!", but was it the right context? Only God knows...

    ReplyDelete